Welcome
to my blog.
I am a girl named Ryan.
Yes, a girl. Always been one... Will ALWAYS be one. I am also a daughter, sister, wife, mother and graphic designer. I blog here to share the stories of how I can some how manage to be all of those titles & SOMEHOW stay sane. If thats what you call it.
If you need me for anything or have a question about something... please email me at ryanikon@gmailDOTcom.
and about rudeness.
and rudeness
of the week.
fastlane rudeness.
You know when your schedule is so busy you dont even have time to stop and think? And you cant even remember what day it is? But all you know is you have to be somewhere NOW and you have to go to the store NOW and you have to drop off something NOW and you have to GO NOW AND DO NOW AND BE NOW! And OMG! I am in the fastlane, been stuck here for 3 days and I dont think I'm getting out for a couple more days.
and rudeness.
and old rudeness.
and find rudeness.

That's Mrs. President to you!
As I was preparing all the necessary paperwork to attend college, I found myself quite frustrated with the entire process. Subsidized vs. Unsubsidized. Pell grants vs. Scholarships. Campus Bookstore vs. Ordering online. Dorms vs. Housing. Man you name it? It involved thought! and precision! and mountains of paperwork! and some sort of freaking Math test. Don't they KNOW its been for. ever. since I took one of those bitches?!

When they finally let me in and I was half way through my second semester, I was informed that I forgot some f-ing signature somewhere and if I didnt take care of this 3 days ago... I would have to drop. out. of. classes. Are you kidding me? My fingers are STILL in a cast and I am collecting disability since I can no longer drive, shower or brush my teeth because I signed up for this school in the first place!! Sure, it'll be done.

HOURS later as I am finally finished putting some signature where the sun NEVER shined anyway, and I realize something... I am not alone. There are lines everywhere filled with people who are mad! and frustrated! and fed up! at the way things are. They cant take this. I cant take this! This is ridiculous! It's no wonder people drop out of school and give up on their education, they're so tired of the bullshit they lose sight of why they were in school in the first place.

And THAT was the sentence I told the Dean of Students when I walked into his office and demanded some change. Insight. Anything. And his response? Do something Ryan.

Six months later I was voted into office as the Student Government President. Ha. I wish it had been that easy. I could write a novel about those six months... but what I am getting to? For the first time I was finally taken seriously.

I sat in on meetings and committees. I called emergency meetings and started committees. I surrounded myself with the best group of Officers that became friends. We had test markets and petitions. My car was renamed Air Force One. We went to conventions and conferences. We shouted on the rooftops until we were heard. Even when our voices were gone.

We created a place were students could come for answers.

I'll tell you, before meeting my husband and having my daughter, that was a pretty awesome time in my life. I dont want to say all this and look for a compliment and I sure as hell dont remember anything about financial aid... so I cant answer anyones questions. (Kidding!) I am just amazed that once I made a difference. And I didnt take NO for an answer.

I think about the things that bother me now and how I sit back silently and let them. People walk all over me. Whether it be my family or my co-workers, I forget that there was a time that I didnt let that happen. Where did that Ryan go?

Cause I would sure like her back! When was that moment where I turned all that off? When I stopped standing up for myself? When did I lose the confidence I had found?
Posted by and rudeness on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 10:11 PM
Post a Comment | Permalink | View Comments
I know what you mean. Sometimes I am such a doormat. Like people literally cut in front of me in line and I don't say anything. What the heck!?
Posted by Blogger Jolynn | January 18, 2007 10:34 AM  
You can find that person again...I know you can. She's in there inside you somewhere. You just have to find her. ((hugs))
Posted by Blogger Brenda | January 18, 2007 1:50 PM  
Post a Comment
and Flickr.
www.flickr.com
and daily rudeness.
and cool rudeness.
BONUS!
My site was nominated for Best Parenting Blog!
Add to Technorati Favorites
World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites
Firefox 2
Rockin' Girl Blogger