Welcome
to my blog.
I am a girl named Ryan.
Yes, a girl. Always been one... Will ALWAYS be one. I am also a daughter, sister, wife, mother and graphic designer. I blog here to share the stories of how I can some how manage to be all of those titles & SOMEHOW stay sane. If thats what you call it.
If you need me for anything or have a question about something... please email me at ryanikon@gmailDOTcom.
and about rudeness.
and rudeness
of the week.
fastlane rudeness.
You know when your schedule is so busy you dont even have time to stop and think? And you cant even remember what day it is? But all you know is you have to be somewhere NOW and you have to go to the store NOW and you have to drop off something NOW and you have to GO NOW AND DO NOW AND BE NOW! And OMG! I am in the fastlane, been stuck here for 3 days and I dont think I'm getting out for a couple more days.
and rudeness.
and old rudeness.
and find rudeness.

Tidbits of me, Tuesday.

No, it's not a tarantula... its my hair. (Of course now that I said that I keep brushing off my shoulder and running my hand through my hair. Icky!) Why I chose to open Tidbits of Tuesday with my hair? Well, as much as I hate to say it... cause it sounds conceited... I think its my best feature. And it IS a BIG part of my life. Maybe... cause my HAIR is so big.

I was born with bright orange hair that has turned into a color that I still cant put a finger on. Copper? Auburn? Rust? It is always hard for me to picture myself as a redhead. I know that redheads arent as "regular" as your blondies or brunettes, and maybe because I dont see too many redheads... I cant get a grasp on actually being one? It's like I forget or something. Then its like, oh yeah, I'm a redhead. You think I'd have it pounded into my head being called a redheaded stepchild, "obviously" hot tempered or Big Red. Pffft, bite me.

When I was younger I can remember going to the grocery store or any store and all of a sudden someone. is. patting. my. head. WTF!? Patting my hair. Usually it was some sweet old lady that was all smiles and giggles as she continued to PAT my hair. I still dont understand this. It STILL happens from time to time now. I mean, I wont lie I like to rub pregnant bellies... OF PEOPLE I KNOW! I've never been one to pat peoples heads. I dont think I am going to start though either. Cause... yeah... its creepy!!

It could also be because I am extremely protective of my hair. When I was eleven... remember that age? Becoming independent. Spending hours with a curling iron and hairspray trying to get your bangs to stand 3 feet STRAIGHT UP. Starting to be conscious of your appearance. Starting to like boys. Worried to DEATH you were going to start your period. Yeah, that fun age. Well apparently my Dad had had enough of it all and took me and my six year old sister to have our heads shaved. That's right you heard me. SHAVED. Well, okay, my hair was about an inch long all over. I consider that shaved.

Talk. about. mortified. I should have known something bad was going to happen... we walked into the BARBER shop and the woman (who didnt speak a LICK of English) spun me AWAY from the mirror and grabbed the clippers and all I could hear was VVVVVVVVUUUMMMM... and then felt air. on. my. head. OMG! This event sticks out in my mind SO MUCH because I remember THAT NIGHT I had my first ever dance. And I was totally smitten with this boy Jeremy Phillips and I thought he kinda liked me too. I couldnt WAIT.

Lets just say that I never made it to that dance. I am surprised I didnt drop out of school and crawl into a hole and die. My Mom tried so hard to get me to go to that dance. She let me wear MAKEUP and her clothes. Makeup people. At eleven. Now you KNOW it was a bad haircut. My Mom even took me out to dinner that night. At my favorite restaurant. And let me order WHATEVER I wanted... because thats what victims get to do.

So I developed quite a fear of haircuts. I literally have had about half a dozen cuts since then. Maybe. When I do get my haircut it is a little off the bottom. And that is it. And quit asking me why I look horrified. Cause I am. And it has nothing to do with you, hairdresser. Geez.

I can also proudly say that I have NEVER dyed my hair either. I mean, I can honestly say that I have never told my mother about the time that Mandacakes and I dyed my hair. My Mom put the fear of God into me about dying my hair from the moment I was born. "People pay hundreds to have your color, you will NEVER dye your hair. Ryan." Point taken?

Nah. See Mandacakes and I have an awful track record of causing mayhem! when we get together. When we were THREE we knocked the Christmas tree over at grandmas. When we were nine we snuck out at 4:30 in the MORNING to ride our bikes to the gas station. Cause we thought that was sooo cool. Not to mention when we went to the gas station... we brought home a cat and hid it in her room for THREE DAYS before being discovered. Well, this is ONE OF THOSE TIMES.

Every normal 16 year old is allowed to dye their hair. Mandacakes did. So she figured I should. Well, of course I was always jealous of everyone that dyed their hair... but when it came right down to it, Mandacakes had to peel me out of the car when we (she!) decided that we were going to the store to buy me some dye. After looking for about 6 hours we settled on a color that I swear was the EXACT SAME color of my hair already. But of course I was convinced it would turn out PLATINUM WHITE. And then fall out. And grow back green with bright orange polka-dots.

So we finally get "The Dye" and go back to her house. No one is home and we knew our parents would be gone for hours and hours. So we go upstairs and start. She is teaching me as we go and if memory serves correct, was dying her hair as well. So the box says to leave it in for 20 minutes then rinse.

Okay, Mandacakes 5 minutes then.

No, Ryan you have to leave this stuff on for 30.

No, Mandacakes it SAYS 20 so I will do it for 5 mintues!!!

Then what's the point RYAN!

And suddenly its been almost 30 minutes and she has won when, we hear... GIRLS! We are home! OMG. Talk about taking a crap in your pants. I am surprised I didnt. I JUMPED into the shower FULLY CLOTHED and washed my hair for an hour. I must have used an ENTIRE bottle of shampoo and conditioner.

My Mom never found out. But if she did. I would totally blame Mandacakes. I mean... to the grave.

Labels:

Posted by and rudeness on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 5:13 PM
Post a Comment | Permalink | View Comments
LOL Wow, that was quite a story! BTW- it IS a beautiful color! I have medium brown hair...I have dyed it blonde several times, but I got bold and tried red once. I was going for an auburn color. yep, that was a disaster. It turned out bright red, then turned purple!!! Yes, that's right..purple. Needless to say it took me years to get the courage to dye it again....and I will NEVER dye it red again on my own!! LOL
I love your tidbit Tuesday! Can't wait to read more!!
(btw- can you email me privately and let me know how mandacakes is doing? I miss her. )
Posted by Blogger Brenda | January 24, 2007 8:06 AM  
I can also say that I've never dyed my hair myself. Had the hairdresser do it?? Tons of times. I don't have a fear of haircuts because I'm constantly changing my hairstyle. However, there was this one horrifying time when I went to a new hairdresser with a picture of Brittany Murphy with a short little flipped out 'do and said that's what I wanted. An hour later after tons of snipping and me not facing the mirror, he says to me, "Mullets are going to be so in this year!"

I wanted to die. And kill him. All at the same time. AWFUL.
Posted by Blogger Whitney | January 24, 2007 8:49 AM  
hahahah... can i just say, i LOVE your posts. Keep me laughing. I think your color is great! Believe me, we've ALL had hair issues. My mom got me the damn "Dorothy Hamill" cut when I was kid, which I hated. (short bowl cut for girls.) You left a nice comment on my blog about how shiny and black my hair is in pics. If you only knew... once poker straight locks have decided over the last few years they like to be curly. and frizzy. atleast half an hour each day of drying, straightening, producting, and I get something I can live with. Then god forbid it's humid, or raining... I also have dye stories. And dreadlocks for 3 years, which you have now inspired me to someday blog about cuz THAT was an ordeal. hahaha... keep me laughing. and thanks for the job motivation! :)
Posted by Blogger jenerrz | January 24, 2007 10:53 AM  
Your mom is right! Do not dye your hair ever again. My almost seven year old daughter is always wanting to dye her hair red. I tell her don't. She is a perfect shade of blonde. Don't mess it up. See moms are always right.

Have you found that file fairy for me yet?
Posted by Blogger Jolynn | January 24, 2007 4:56 PM  
All this talk of mandacakes. I miss that girl. :: sigh ::

And, btw, I love that you picked out a color THE EXACT SAME. Because that? Is so what I've done. Only now I have to. Because of the gray hair and all. (Shhhh)
Posted by Blogger Mrs. Flinger | January 24, 2007 10:19 PM  
Omg....this was such a FUN read! Hair is such trouble..isn't it.
Posted by Blogger Envoy-ette | January 25, 2007 12:30 AM  
Ha, great post. I can imagine how traumatic the haricut was, especially at that age! You do have a beautiful hair color -- if mine were that color I doubt I'd ever have dyed it. But I've got the most boring plain brown color, so in high school and college I was constantly dying it various shades of res, pink and purple. My boyfriend compared me to the horse of many colors in the Wizard of Oz.
Posted by Blogger Heidi | January 26, 2007 8:33 AM  
Post a Comment
and Flickr.
www.flickr.com
and daily rudeness.
and cool rudeness.
BONUS!
My site was nominated for Best Parenting Blog!
Add to Technorati Favorites
World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites
Firefox 2
Rockin' Girl Blogger