Welcome
to my blog.
I am a girl named Ryan.
Yes, a girl. Always been one... Will ALWAYS be one. I am also a daughter, sister, wife, mother and graphic designer. I blog here to share the stories of how I can some how manage to be all of those titles & SOMEHOW stay sane. If thats what you call it.
If you need me for anything or have a question about something... please email me at ryanikon@gmailDOTcom.
and about rudeness.
and rudeness
of the week.
fastlane rudeness.
You know when your schedule is so busy you dont even have time to stop and think? And you cant even remember what day it is? But all you know is you have to be somewhere NOW and you have to go to the store NOW and you have to drop off something NOW and you have to GO NOW AND DO NOW AND BE NOW! And OMG! I am in the fastlane, been stuck here for 3 days and I dont think I'm getting out for a couple more days.
and rudeness.
and old rudeness.
and find rudeness.

Tidbits of Me, Tuesday.
As my husband and I approach the 4 year mark in our relationship, I thought it appropriate to write about our rings. Not just our wedding rings but also our promise rings. And really, what girl doesnt love to talk about jewelry!!

Mr. Bubba and I had been together for about a year when we got pregnant with Bubba. We had already decided before that to get married, once we found out about Bubba, we wanted to wait to get married until she was born. We wanted to make sure that we really wanted to be married for us, not just Bubba.

As a Christmas present to each other (we found out we were pregnant December 12th, 2003) we decided to get promise rings... they were really engagement rings. We went to James Avery and picked out these.



I particularly liked this one because it was a HEAVY Lovers Knot. And thats what we were! Heavy in love. (Need a barf bag yet?) I know that many will roll their eyes when I say this... but... I have never really been a diamond kind of gal. Yeah, I know... bullshit right? No, really. My birthstone may be the diamond but I have never been one for the good ole' sparkle and shine rock. I am just too rough on my hands and busy with life to be nice to a diamond. It took a long time to get Mr. Bubba to actually believe me. He kept saying, "You can get a diamond if you want." I guess I made it hard for him to believe me because one of my favorite teases was "You know I am an April baby... I ONLY wear diamonds. Hope you know what you are getting into."

When it was time to get our wedding bands almost two years later we chose to stay with James Avery. Speaking of James Avery, have you heard of it? I was shocked to realize many people here in Wisconsin had never heard of the company. Of course, then I realized that they are based in the south. And being as though I have spent most of my life in the southern part of the country... I just figured everyone knew!! Shame on me! If you havent heard of them, take a look! I just love their jewelry and would definitely recommend them to anyone.

I will admit that some of their stuff is gaudy and some is... well... just plain freaking RIDICULOUS! I mean, COME ON... $75 freaking dollars for a PONYTAIL holder??! Although it does look pretty. I couldnt image wearing it though. I would end up having to shave my head to get it out of my hair. I dont need any 6th grade disasters again.


The wedding bands my husband and I chose were called Song of Solomon rings. The inscription is Hebrew and we fell in love with the saying. My ring would say "My beloved is mine, and I am his" and of course his would say "My beloved is mine, and I am hers." We then themed our wedding, I am my Beloveds, and my Beloved is mine.

We wrote our vows, I made the invitations and we were on our way! As I was looking through my "EVERYTHING WEDDING" folder on my hard drive as I was thinking what to write about today, I found the vows... and thought I would share them. I tell you... it isnt an easy thing to do!

In the presence of God, our family and friends,
I, ____ take you ____, to be my husband/wife,
my co-pilot in life, my one true love,
my best friend, my constant.
I give myself to you,
and promise to encourage and inspire you,
to laugh and cry with you, to speak and listen to you,
for all of eternity.


So now I have a favor to ask! Share with me a picture or link of your ring and tell the story of it with me. You dont necessarily have to be married! Have a favorite ring or one you would love to have? I wanna see it! Cause I might not wear diamonds... but I never said I didnt like to LOOK at them!!

Labels:

Posted by and rudeness on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Post a Comment | Permalink | View Comments
I don't have a picture of my ring currently...I'm sure I have one on my computer somewhere...just don't know where!
Anyway, my ring is actually an engagement ring and the wedding ring is called a "wrap", where if fits around the engagement ring.
I'm ALL about diamonds! LOL My engagement ring was a half Karat marquis cut diamond solitaire with a gold band. Absolutely gorgeous. (we got it from Kay Jewelers). The wedding ring (or wrap) fits around it, and it has 3 small marquis cut diamonds on each side with a gold band...making the Karat total of the whole ring when put together almost a full Karat. I love it.
Dh's is also a gold band with some grooves and such on it, and 3 small diamonds embedding in it. Very nice looking.
No big story on ours though. We picked out the rings together.

BTW- I've never heard of the store you mentioned! LOL Of course, I've never been in the south either! (other than Florida!)
Posted by Blogger Brenda | January 31, 2007 8:22 AM  
I don't have a ring since I'm not married or engaged. :( However, I do get Tiffany jewelery, which I love. So far I've been given a necklace and bracelet. They are both silver, which is my favorite. But I would definitely take a diamond! I don't have pictures, but I do plan to take some of my new bracelet.
Posted by Blogger Jolynn | January 31, 2007 9:37 AM  
I'm not a diamond person either, especially after learning about the diamond industry and how horrible it is with human rights abuses and stuff. Though there are man-made diamonds, so you can avoid that stuff if you are looking to. Anyway, I'm not married so I don't wear any rings, but if I had one, I'd want something with more color than a diamond -- opal, garnet, citrine, blue topaz -- something unique and distinct and just... me.

I like the story behind your wedding bands, and your vows. I admire your decision not to get married just because you were pregnant -- that's why Greg and I didn't get married when I got pregnant, either, though some people were expecting it of us. It should be a committment you make to each other, not just the thing you do because you're having a baby.
Posted by Blogger Heidi | January 31, 2007 11:34 AM  
Thank you Hiedi.
Its not an easy decision to make, to wait to get married. We wanted the best for Bubba and thought at first we should rush and get married. Becasue we thoughts what was right. Damn traditions. No!

My parents didnt approve but it wasnt up to them or anyone else. I actually think it made me and the hubbie closer. I was worried that he would think I didnt want to marry him... in the end I think we started to be even more open and honest with each other.

I just wanted the timing to be right. When we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what "forever" meant for us. And for Bubba.

And... I think emeralds are gorgeous.
Posted by Blogger and rudeness | January 31, 2007 11:46 AM  
Your Promise Ring is beautiful! Although, I can't deny that I love diamonds, I still love the Love Knot.
Posted by Blogger Whitney | January 31, 2007 9:12 PM  
I have a lot of rings my nana was big on buying me rings, so I have a nice lil variety, but my most prized ring was given to me on May the 9th, my papaw's wedding band, we burried him that day. My Papaw was my world he was without a doubt the strongest man I have ever known. He battled cancer for 9 yrs he was the most happiest and most giving cancer patient, I hold his wedding band dear, b/c just like his marriage to my grandmother being everlasting love, his love for us was the same. I owe most of my strength to that man! And I am soo glad to share that story!!!!!!! And I absoultly love the knot ring I think that is what i want now when I wed! Diamonds are nice but their a dime a dozen!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous | January 31, 2007 9:29 PM  
Kudos to you for holding off getting married!! I've seen so many "baby marriages" tank...

The Hubby and I LOVE James Avery!! When we were babies deciding to take the plunge, we knew we wanted James Avery. It was the perfect combination of silver and gold plus it fit our budget perfectly!!

When we started our family, Hubby started me a charm braclet from there. And I don't know how many charms we've given as gifts. Even our Z Girl has a James Avery Butterfly charm from there.

James Avery is the BEST kept secret!!
Posted by Blogger ^starshine | February 05, 2007 9:59 PM  
Post a Comment
and Flickr.
www.flickr.com
and daily rudeness.
and cool rudeness.
BONUS!
My site was nominated for Best Parenting Blog!
Add to Technorati Favorites
World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites
Firefox 2
Rockin' Girl Blogger