Welcome
to my blog.
I am a girl named Ryan.
Yes, a girl. Always been one... Will ALWAYS be one. I am also a daughter, sister, wife, mother and graphic designer. I blog here to share the stories of how I can some how manage to be all of those titles & SOMEHOW stay sane. If thats what you call it.
If you need me for anything or have a question about something... please email me at ryanikon@gmailDOTcom.
and about rudeness.
and rudeness
of the week.
fastlane rudeness.
You know when your schedule is so busy you dont even have time to stop and think? And you cant even remember what day it is? But all you know is you have to be somewhere NOW and you have to go to the store NOW and you have to drop off something NOW and you have to GO NOW AND DO NOW AND BE NOW! And OMG! I am in the fastlane, been stuck here for 3 days and I dont think I'm getting out for a couple more days.
and rudeness.
and old rudeness.
and find rudeness.

Back to the Basics.
My sweet little girl is in the process of getting four of her molars. At once. Thats right, all together in one grand symphony of P A I N.

There is the constant whining. Everything pisses her off. The fighting to eat food. The throwing of her juice cup. The stomping around. Nothing can get her mind off of her teeth... all of her toys have become victims. I even feel bad for some of them... poor Buzz Lightyear keeps being run over with her trucks and then slammed against the wall. Noooo Buzzzz!! NOOOOO!!

Maybe he is the one that told her molars to come in?

So we have done all of the normal remedies to help sooth her poor little gums as her teeth BREAK OUT of them. Cool washcloth. Stop it Momma! Oragel. STOP IT MOMMA! Rubbing the gums with my fingers. Go away MOMMA!

Really the only thing that helps are Popsicles. But we know why. They are messy and fun. I mean 2½ year old + popsicle = Mess and stains on the carpet = no security deposit back.

Cant they make flavored WHITE Popsicles?

The other morning Bubba woke up with a 105 degree fever. And diarrhea. So we immediately figured it to be her teeth and gave her some Tylenol to help bring the fever down. It helped a little but we had to give her 3 doses throughout the day. And of course her diarrhea gave her a sore bottom.

How is it that your child can poop... immediately waddle to you and scream DIAPER! CHANGE! and 15 seconds later you are changing them... and they have the REDDEST, NASTIEST diaper rash already?! Grrr...

At 3:00am that next morning Bubba woke up moaning and groaning while holding her ear. She was hot as hell and shaking yet sweating. Mr. Bubba and I jumped out of bed and did everything we thought would help. Changed her clothes, her diaper, rocked her, gave her some juice. Nothing was helping. I went to get some Tylenol and realized that we were out. Since we live in Bumblefuck, WI nothing would have been open at this hour so I gave her the next best thing.

I am currently taking Baby Aspirin as a blood thinner and gave her one of those. I got a cool washcloth and rubbed her face and neck. After a half an hour her fever was still sky high and she was starting to shake more. Then I noticed her eyes. She wasnt focusing on anything and they just looked... wrong.

So we rushed around like headless chickens getting everything ready to go to the ER. Mr. Bubba and I were randomly shouting things to each other about what we thought they would do. Once before when Bubba was teething and having a bad time with the whole thing... we went to the doctor. The doctor informed us that fever and diarrhea had nothing to do with teething and she must have just had a viral infection.

Hello. Teething INVENTED the fever and diarrhea. Am I right here?! I am so freaking pissed off about doctors who deny this fact of the universe.

Well crazy doctors aside we were scared shittless about what Bubba was going through. Something just wasnt right.

When we got to the ER and as I raced through the last 24 hours with the nurse she looked at me like a crazy woman when I told her about an hour ago we gave Bubba Baby Aspirin. And when the doctor came in, he totally scolded me.

You ARE NOT allowed to give a 2½ year old Aspirin. What were you thinking?!

**Blink blink**
What do you mean? B A B Y Aspirin. It said on the side of the bottle that it was good for teething and then I looked at the weight chart and gave her two.

No. Children under the age of 18 ARE NOT allowed to have Aspirin. There is a thing called Reyes syndrome...

Okay. Lets back up the train here. I had NO IDEA that Baby Aspirin was off limits. Am I the only one here?! OMG I had no idea. The doctor told me that I could have worsened her situation when I gave her the Aspirin. Never. Ever. EVER. Give your child Aspirin.

Am I seriously the only person that didnt know this?! I have read so many books and websites and blogs on parenting and never heard this. I feel like shit. Like I poisoned my daughter. Dear God whatever you do... dont give your little ones Aspirin!

Here's some backup on why:

Waiting until your child is 19 years old to take aspirin or any medication that contains aspirin may seem overly cautious to you, especially if you took baby aspirin when you were a kid, but following this advice could save your child's life. That's because aspirin use during childhood has been linked with a rare, but often fatal illness known as Reye's syndrome. The risk is especially high for children who take aspirin when they have a fever or other symptoms of a viral illness, such as flu or chickenpox.

While at the ER we also learned that we have been under dosing her Tylenol... she now falls into the next category for dosing. That could have been another reason her fever wasnt fully going away. They told us to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours and so far... fingers crossed... she has been doing much better.

Labels:

Posted by and rudeness on Saturday, April 14, 2007 at 10:08 AM
Post a Comment | Permalink | View Comments
Yeah I knew about the Reyes syndrome, but i had never heard of it untill 10 years ago while watching my soap opera. Also yes you can alternate between motrin and tylenol because they do two different things. If we lived closer you could have called me :)
Posted by Blogger Denise | April 15, 2007 10:07 AM  
I had no idea about the aspirin either. Why do they call if baby aspirin then if you can't give it to babies?? Sounds silly to me. I've only given my kids Tylenol and Motrin but that's because I can't take aspirin so I don't think to give it them. (I'm allergic to aspirin).
As far as the fever and diarrhea for teething...Ryan only had fevers during teething...never had diarrhea. I was lucky I guess!
Poor Bubba. I hope she feels better soon. Those molars are horrible.
Posted by Blogger Brenda | April 16, 2007 8:00 AM  
Why in the heck do they make BABY aspirin? Isn't that a little mis-leading?!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous | April 16, 2007 8:20 AM  
Poor bubba. :(
Posted by Blogger That Chick Over There | April 16, 2007 10:37 AM  
I've heard of Reyes syndrome, but I didn't know you could NEVER give your kid aspirin. I thought you were just supposed to use it in moderation or something. Why in the world do they even make baby aspirin then?

Poor Bubba. Hope she gets through this quickly. We've had our share of teething troubles over the years (James also had four teeth come in at the same time, once, but none of them were molars. Those are the WORST.)
Posted by Blogger Heidi | April 16, 2007 12:51 PM  
A-Nope. Had no idea. Thanks for taking the brunt of that one. Gah!
Posted by Blogger Mrs. Flinger | April 16, 2007 9:29 PM  
Post a Comment
and Flickr.
www.flickr.com
and daily rudeness.
and cool rudeness.
BONUS!
My site was nominated for Best Parenting Blog!
Add to Technorati Favorites
World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites
Firefox 2
Rockin' Girl Blogger