Welcome
to my blog.
I am a girl named Ryan.
Yes, a girl. Always been one... Will ALWAYS be one. I am also a daughter, sister, wife, mother and graphic designer. I blog here to share the stories of how I can some how manage to be all of those titles & SOMEHOW stay sane. If thats what you call it.
If you need me for anything or have a question about something... please email me at ryanikon@gmailDOTcom.
and about rudeness.
and rudeness
of the week.
fastlane rudeness.
You know when your schedule is so busy you dont even have time to stop and think? And you cant even remember what day it is? But all you know is you have to be somewhere NOW and you have to go to the store NOW and you have to drop off something NOW and you have to GO NOW AND DO NOW AND BE NOW! And OMG! I am in the fastlane, been stuck here for 3 days and I dont think I'm getting out for a couple more days.
and rudeness.
and old rudeness.
and find rudeness.

Tidbits of Me, Tuesday.
When I was five years old my Mom took me into the cul-da-sac in front of our house and took the training wheels off my bike. Handed me my helmet and said, "Ryan, today we are going to learn how to ride without training wheels."

Well, I basically said, "RYAN! DO IT!" I strapped my helmet on. Pulled my socks up to my knees and jumped on that little red bike and took control.

And a couple scrapes later I was riding circles in front of the house, having needed no assistance from Mom or Dad what-so-ever, without any little baby training wheels. Cause I was a big girl now, damnit.

We use to take family bike rides all the time. Whether it be just going around the block or on longer 10-20 mile rides as I got older.

When I was 10 my parents got me my first ever 10 speed bike. Yeah, that scared the living hell out of me. But it was the next step. And I was ready. My Dad and I started riding every. single. day. after he got home from work. Monday-Thursday we went about 15 miles. On Fridays we went 40 miles. Then on Sunday we all rode as a family and would do casual 5-10 mile trips because my sister was in the little buggy thing on the back of my Dad's bike.

Slowly we started taking longer trips and then my Dad had a great idea. Lets do a MS 150 Bike Tour. My Great Aunt on my Dad's side has Multiple Sclerosis and the ride raises money for research. We would then ride in her name.

Thats right. MATCHING shirts.
It was so we could spot each other quickly on the road.
You convinced?
And oh yeah, that is SO an Astro van in the background.
Can you figure out which one I am?

And when I say ride... obviously the "150" part meant 150 miles. In two days. My parents were confident that we would do just fine and signed up. We trained until the day we left and all 4 of us (my sister in the buggy) finished in the two days alloted. We went from San Antonio, Texas to Corpus Cristi, Texas. It was a pretty cool thing. A very good sense of accomplishment. I was the youngest rider ever to finish.

But I'll tell you there were times coming across the cotton fields with the wind whipping us at 30 miles per hour that I thought I was actually going BACKWARDS. (By the way, do you know what stressed spells backwards?... Cool huh?)

A couple years later we did another MS Tour when we lived in South Carolina and my sister was big enough to ride. That year SHE was the youngest ever to ride and finish.

I just love cycling. I would ride my bike everywhere if I didnt care how my hair looked. Yeah, thats my excuse now. When we moved to Wisconsin a couple years ago, my husband and I left our bikes in Texas. But two years ago, my parents got me a new bike for my birthday and a little buggy for Bubba to ride in. Man, she loooves that thing.

I will admit this picture is from May 2005 but
she is damn cute and this is the only
picture of her I have in her buggy.
Totally pimped out with toys and her own pillow.

I am excited that the weather has finally began to warm up and am so eager to get riding again. I just think it is so great that cycling for me has come full circle. I know we are a ways off from taking Bubba's training wheels off... but I can hardly wait.

Her grandpa is currently fixing up my little red bike for Bubba. How cool is that?

Labels:

Posted by and rudeness on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 5:05 PM
Post a Comment | Permalink | View Comments
That's so cool! It's wonderful that you can pass on your love of cycling to Bubba....I'm sure she'll love it as much as you do. And how amazing to do the 150 marathon!! Great job!
Posted by Blogger Brenda | April 18, 2007 6:27 AM  
I am amazed by the 150-mile rides. Wow! That sounds like so much fun. Well, difficult fun, but I bet you have an enormous sense of accomplishment at the end. I don't know that I've really ridden a bike since I was 14 or so, but it's something I'd love to get into. I've dreamed about family bike rides like yours.
Posted by Blogger Heidi | April 18, 2007 10:38 AM  
150 miles, dang girl! That's awesome. I wish I could do that. It's been so long since I've rode a bike, I probably couldn't do it if I tried!

Oh, and I had to spell out stressed backwards on paper to figure out what it spelled...
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous | April 19, 2007 9:51 AM  
The Hubby really got into cycling about 3 years ago and tried to ride as much as possible. We even got a Burley trailer for the girls...but alas...I got preggers with Goober Baby and my Trek sits still in the garage. :(

That is really cool that your family completed that ride. My Hubby did the "Hotter than Hell 100" as a kid and lists it as one of his favorite life experiences!
Posted by Blogger ^starshine | April 24, 2007 1:54 PM  
Post a Comment
and Flickr.
www.flickr.com
and daily rudeness.
and cool rudeness.
BONUS!
My site was nominated for Best Parenting Blog!
Add to Technorati Favorites
World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites
Firefox 2
Rockin' Girl Blogger